A facet joint injection is done to relieve pain from the small joints in the neck, mid back and lower back. It involves injecting a small amount of numbing agent and steroid medication into the facet joint (lower spine) to ease pain and inflammation.
What is Facet Pain?
Facet pain can be caused by the breakdown of cartilage of the joints and discs in the lower back and neck, which can be caused by wear and tear as we age or from an injury to the facet joint. It’s most common in men under 45 years old, and in women over 45 years old.
Common Facet Pain Symptoms:
- Stiffness in the back or neck (may experience pain relief when you lay down)
- Feeling of weakness or numbness in the arms or legs
- Difficulty bending or twisting your spine or neck
- Pain, numbness or muscle weakness in your buttocks, legs and feet – if lumbar spine nerves are effected
- Pain numbness or muscle weakness in your neck, shoulders, arms and hands – if cervical spine nerves are damaged.
What Can You Expect During a Facet Joint Injection?
At Regenerative Sports, Spine & Spa we offer a non-surgical solution to patients who are suffering from painful symptoms associated with facet pain. Our facet joint injection is a very straightforward, in-office procedure usually performed without any sedation – just numbing the injection site, so the patient feels no discomfort. Patients typically feel pain relief from the steroid in about two to seven days, and the pain relief effect can last for several days to several months.